Sunday, March 7, 2010

Don't let your worth be determined by others



Okay, idk if you guys have been catching the news, but the A level results were out 2 days ago on Friday. Tears of joy, tears of fear, tears of hope, tears of disappointment, everything.


It's kind of amazing that 2 years can pass so swiftly and everything that you've put in your hard work to can just magically transform into results in the form of a certificate in a day.



I want to blog about this bc I'm sure many of you are "headless chicken" in the sense that you don't know what you want in life and what are you actually doing in NSS. Many of you just want to slack as much as you can and make friends and be cool, yaddah yaddah.


Being someone who's been through this stage, I must admit that I've regretted doing all the above. I regret not studying harder and not making the full use of my time.


The 4 years spent in NSS will also magically transform into a piece of certificate, which -whether you like it or not- will determine your life. ITE, Polytechnics, or even JCs. It's not only the type of institution that matters, but the specific college will definitely look at your results. Would you rather go to RJC or YJC? Would you rather go to TP or NYP?


Even though (most of you) are sec 3, it's not too early to plan ahead- decide which institute you want to go to. Aim high. Work hard. Have a goal in mind and everything will just flow. You head will grow and you'll flap your wings. One day, you'll fly.



With that said, I must add that you shouldn't let your results determine your worth.


I know many of you will be getting back your common test results next week. Physics will be given back on Monday (so don't bring your text book). For 3N it'd be on Tuesday. Even if you fall short of your expectation, even if you fail, don't let it be a gauge of your potential. You are worth so much more.


Don't allow your grades to convince you of your worth. Convince the world that the grade was a mistake. If you failed, don't behave like a loser just to 'prove to the world that you can't study'. Or some will stop studying and use the excuse 'o, I did not study. If I study I confirm A one laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'. Please, those are just excuses. If you really can do it, prove to the world. why do you have to mask up your potential?


If the eagle doesn't spread its wings and fly bc it's complacent that it can fly the highest, soon or later its muscles will deteriorate and it'll lose its ability to fly and end up being overtaken by sparrows.


Exams are not there to "kill you", they are there for you to see how much have you absorbed from the lessons and hence gauge whether you need to study more, or concentrate more on certain subject, or seek help for some others. It can also give you an awesome sense of satisfaction when you score the highest (that's when the arrogant ones will keep on saying that they did not study at all, making others feel inferior.- DON'T AH. I whack you).



No matter what, I'm sure that each and every one of my students have tried his/her best. If you haven't, don't worry, you've still got the mid years and the CT2, and EOY. Don't give up, but don't be proud.


Work hard so that the tears that you evr cry will be those of joy and hope. Jia You :)

No comments:

Post a Comment